Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Kindling the newspaper

Well, I'm about two weeks into the Kindle New York Times experience and I really don't see any significant downside to the device as a newspaper consumer.

Navigating the headlines is a little clumsier than it needs to be, but it's still easier than handling a broadsheet newspaper would be. I don't read the paper during a commute, but if I did I would definitely find the Kindle easier to use on a bus or train. Using the Text to Speech function even makes it possible to "read" the newspaper while driving. (The Kindle has the ability to take headphones).

The newspaper is "delivered" every morning to my nightstand and I'm able to start reading in bed as soon as I get up. Better than home delivery. Even if the news carrier gently placed the paper on my doorstep (instead of tossing it at the end of the driveway while driving past) I'd still have to go downstairs and open the door to the elements.

About the only significant capability the Kindle version of the NYT lacks are many photos and charts. I think that the Kindle still falls short of replacing a graphics and photo-heavy publication such as Sports Illustrated or Smithsonian, but it's hard to consider this merely a temporary state of affairs that will probably abate by the time the Kindle 3 or Kindle 4 or whatever it's called rolls out in a few more years.

From the point of view of the NYT, though, the Kindle creates an entirely new dynamic because it's a subscriber-pays model instead of an advertiser-pays model. It's hard to see how any subscriber-based payment model can replace the kind of revenue that advertiser-paid print was bale to generate.

Indeed, I can't see any particular advantage an outfit like the NYT derives from its size in this new environment other than the brand value. This is not insignificant, but it may also be insufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment