Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Count me as a skeptic

Rumor has it Apple will soon unveil a new "tablet" device that will "save" print media.

It will be interesting to see, but I suspect that the "saving" involved will not be the kind of saving the media expects and wants.

I already get the AP feed and New York Times on my Kindle. I find it very convenient and generally cost-effective. (I have dropped the NYT for now, though) That said, the key point I need to make about my Kindle is, as much as I like it, I have yet to see anyone else with one.

I'm sure there are major metro areas and college campuses where they abound, but I'm not in some desert or cave either and the fact that I don't see Kindles around makes me suspect that this kind of device will not be the wholesale salvation of newspapers.

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth Kindle is the biggest seller on Amazon and that's saying alot. I have one and I know what your saying, rare to see them. Amazon traditionally does not do regular advertising but soon will with Kindle. As time goes on we'll see more of these, especially if textbooks become available on them. Once parents buy them for their kids for school we'll see more of them

    ReplyDelete